Effective treatment for Achilles bursitis. Achilles bursitis: symptoms, causes and treatment
The Achilles tendon that goes from the head of the three calf muscles to the heel bone, is considered one of the strongest in the human body. Three head of the muscle in its lower part goes into the Achilles tendon. When it is reduced, the foot bent. Thanks to her work we can stand on toes. She takes part in various movements, starting with the usual walk and ending with running and jumping.
If this muscle is constantly under heavy load, it can cause problems in the normal functioning of the Achilles tendon.
Bursa, or bag filled with fluid that facilitates the gliding joint. When inflammation occurs, and such diseases as bursitis. Between the lower portion of the tendon and the calcaneus is the bag of the Achilles tendon if it becomes inflamed, developing Achilles bursitis. Symptoms, causes and treatment bursitis discuss in more detail.
The causes of the disease
Bursitis occurs usually from excessive physical activity. This often occurs in athletes but, in addition, there are some causes that can lead to this problem:
- wearing shoes with high heels (this problem especially women);
- called hematogenous or lymphogenous infection;
- inflammation in the Bursa can lead to tendon rupture;
- injuries and bruises of the heel;
- tight and uncomfortable shoes;
- arthritis of the ankle joint.
If there is at least one of these points, it is necessary to closely monitor the condition of their joints and pay attention to your own feelings, so that, if necessary, time to start treating Achilles bursitis.
Symptoms of bursitis
The first sign of this disease is often pain that spreads in the course of the Achilles tendon on the back surface of the tibia. You can also watch:
- exacerbation of pain when walking.
If that's the time to wear uncomfortable shoes, the situation is compounded. Gradually, the inflammatory process extends around the tendon swells even the lower part of the three head of the muscle.
If suddenly there is a rupture of the Achilles tendon, it is determined by the characteristic crunch, and the injury site becomes swollen and painful. The man is very lame, and stand on your toes it is not impossible.
We have considered Achilles bursitis (symptoms). Treatment at home will be described below, but for now let's talk about the diagnosis of this disease.
Diagnosis of the disease
Diagnosis is not particularly difficult. The doctor talks with the patient, asks him about feelings, symptoms, examines the foot. Inspection often gives the patient pain, but the doctor needs to make sure that the tendon is in one piece.
When it took very little time since the breakup, it can be identified by swelling of leg and foot, and hematoma. During the examination, the doctor detects the ceasing on the site of the tendon rupture. If you ask the patient to bend the foot, then do it, he almost can't.
The doctor suggests bursitis of the foot – Achilles bursitis, and methods of treatment will be selected after clarification of the research.
- Since the x-ray soft tissue is poorly visualized, then the victim is prescribed ultrasound, which allows to determine the location of tendon rupture.
- MRI is considered a more accurate method, as well see the structure of tissues.
Both of these methods do not require training, but they can accurately confirm or refute the doctor's diagnosis and determine what treatment Achilles bursitis is required if operation patient or you can do drug therapy.
Treatment of the disease
Treatment of bursitis is carried out in several directions. It will be more effective if carried out a set of procedures. We can distinguish the following methods of treatment:
- drug therapy;
- shock wave;
- limitation of physical activity;
- folk methods of treatment.
Work to achieve the best results, if several methods use the complex.
Since the torn tendon of the patient concerned severe pain, it is first necessary to conduct anesthesia. For this purpose, the introduction of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs directly into the tendon. Also, the doctor usually appoints as a local anti inflammatory ointment.
Treatment of Achilles bursitis using extracorporeal shock wave therapy is considered the most effective method of treatment, which is a great alternative to surgical intervention.
This method is good because it does not cause gross abnormalities in tissues and has no negative effects. The number of sessions is usually determined by taking into account the severity of the disease.
Between sessions, you set the break at least three days but not more than six. This is due to the fact that for one procedure should not be more than 2000 impulses of low and medium level.
If to speak not about medication, it usually includes the following activities:
- overlay tight bandages on the damaged area;
- a reduction of physical activity;
- the need to wear shoes with low heels;
- it is desirable that the shoes were orthopedic, and even better to make it custom;
- in some cases you need to get rid of excess weight.
We have considered Achilles bursitis, the symptoms and effective treatment of disease using drugs and other treatments. But if the result of a complex of events is inefficient, we will have to resort to surgery.
Most often, surgical intervention is not necessary to resort, but there are times when without it just will not do. If drug therapy and physical treatments do not give proper result, thicken the tissue, the inflammatory process does not stop, then surgical treatment is indicated.
Doctor during surgery produces the excision of the tissues around the tendons and examines him. If there are degenerative changes, thickening of the body, as well as significant changes may have to be plastic.
At break is the mending of the tissues, removal of the hematoma and damaged tissues. Then carefully restores the tendon sheath.
If the gap has been more than 4 weeks, then most likely, you will need plastic of the Achilles tendon.
Treatment bursitis: treat your hands
Traditional methods can not cope with this disease, but they can be AIDS in the treatment. All the ways this impact can be divided into several groups:
Of compresses can suggest the following.
- Grate black radish, wrap it in a cloth and applied to the joint for 1 hour. Before use it is necessary to lubricate the area of application vegetable oil. The procedure was performed twice a day.
- Good effect of applying a fresh unsalted fat to the heel. Before this leg it is necessary to float, put a piece of bacon and secure it. Can this procedure be done at night.
- Take 1 part aloe to 2 parts honey and 3 parts vodka, mix everything and put a compress on the night on the sore spot.
- Helps the leaves of fresh cabbage, applied to the heel for the night.
Effective method is exposure to heat:
- use salt water or a heating pad;
- the hot bricks also suitable;
- with it, you need to heat the joint for about 30 minutes, and then grease and wrap;
- you can heat the flax seeds, put in a cloth bag and attach to the leg.
The opposite of heat is cold, which can also alleviate the patient's condition. For this you can apply a hot water bottle with ice water to the injured place. The cold helps to reduce pain.
We have considered Achilles bursitis, the symptoms and effective treatment of this disease. It should be noted that to obtain such a disease may not only athletes, but also ordinary people. Such cases happen quite often, because injuries in this region no one is safe: sometimes it is enough a bad jump and the inflammatory process has already started.
At the first sign of illness one should not immediately resort to home therapies. It is better to consult the doctor to get the treatment was the most effective. Only in this case will be able to avoid surgery.