BURSITIS: SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT
Bursitis is a this kind of acute inflammation, which is formed in about articular capsule, that is, a soft pouch, filled with liquid and used as padding for a cushion between the bones, muscles or tendons. Accordingly, such bags are located in places with the greatest mechanical pressure of about synovial bags. The cause of this inflammation becomes abrasion or injury, as well as small wounds or secondary infection of the synovial bags due to pyogenic bacteria.
Mostly this disease is peculiar to people who play sports with increased injury risk in it (the players, cyclists, etc.). In chronic bursitis, the symptoms of which are pronounced, moves with constant irritation of the lesion with inflammation. Usually bursitis is accompanied by inflammation of the tendon.
THE MAIN SYMPTOMS OF BURSITIS
As we have noted, bursitis can be represented in the form of acute or chronic. For acute bursitis is characteristic of the beginning in the presence of strong and sharp pain, which is especially amplified when attempting movement of the affected joint. Directly above the place of inflammation extremely painful and forms a rounded swelling, which is characterized by its elastic texture. The diameter often can reach 10cm. The return pain is to the area near the joint, with particular strengthening of its notes at night.
Place with inflammation is swelling, with marked redness of the skin with redness of the skin. The temperature often rises to achieve the level of 40°C. Progressive inflammation with its transition to the soft tissues provokes the appearance of signs of cellulitis (acute suppurative inflammation, which is formed in adipose tissue when the subsequent trend it will soon be spread along the cellular spaces).
The next stage of the acute form is the chronic bursitis, in which it noted the pain is not so severe, however, a more prolonged course. Chronic stage is characterized by the occurrence of calcium deposits in the location of the shoulder Bursa. This, in turn, promotes the formation of these symptoms of bursitis, in which there is limitation of joint mobility, and total swelling. Chronic bursitis in some cases, can worsen, the volume of the liquid in lobortis cavitatem this increases. This feature of a condition determines the formation of cystic cavity, which, as is clear from the description, is filled with liquid.
Common severity, and peculiarities of bursitis, is determined directly from where it is localized. The most severe is the disease in the affected area of the hip joint.
BURSITIS OF THE HIP SYMPTOMS
When considering symptoms of the course of the serious forms of lesions, it can be noted that bursitis of the hip symptoms are the deep and often burning pain in this area. This pain can also give and along the entire exterior surface of the affected hip. On the diseased side becomes impossible to lie down, the pain increases with hip flexion and unbending. Not uncommon be night pain that occurs in the affected area. They can grow progressively, but not eliminated, and sudden nature of their appearance, which contributes to the injury. By the way, most patients feel a "click" that occurs at its moment in the femur.
BURSITIS OF THE KNEE SYMPTOMS
In this case, the bursitis of the knee, symptoms which arise, as we have already pointed out, on the background of inflammation of the shoulder Bursa can occur in any of the three existing Bourse.
- Bursitis prepatellar. Inflammation arises in the synovial bag, which is located directly over the kneecap. The development of this type of bursitis is important after a knee injury, which could be in the nature of a direct blow or fall, made for a Cup. Wound infection in this scenario is often enough.
- Infrapatellar bursitis. Here the inflammation is formed under the big tendon located under the kneecap. Quite often this injury occurs as a result of injuries to nearby tendons. In particular there may be a bad jump from a height or of a similar nature, landing with straight legs.
- Of Baker's Cyst. Type of inflammation of the Bursa located on the lower inside of the knee. The most pressing injury to women aged over 40 years who suffer from obesity.
The onset of symptoms is expressed in the following sequence:
- Mostly painless enlargement forms the knee joint with the possibility of the former range of motion.
- The temperature increase at the local level, skin redness observed in the area over the affected joint.
- The appearance of pain in the joint under the appropriate limitation of his mobility.
- Form infectious bursitis increases the temperature, as well as a number of related intoxication symptoms.
- In the case of bursitis of this type because of gout, osteoarthritis, etc., there is an exacerbation of current diseases with an increase in their corresponding symptoms.
BURSITIS OF THE SHOULDER JOINT: SYMPTOMS
As bursitis knee, bursitis of the shoulder joint, the symptoms of which are the complaints limited to the pain, occurring in the process of abduction in the upper extremities, is quite common among these lesions. It should be noted that the shoulder joint region often is hitting the bags without communication with the cavity of the joint itself.
Thus, complaints and inspection, identify the General flattening of the shoulder, also observed the uniformity in the increase of the deltoid muscle. The large size of the bags because of the defeat to the swelling that occurs from the outside surface of the shoulder. Palpation, as a rule, the pressure causes the pain. If it is related disease, which is supraclavicular bursitis, it is often necessary to determine the actual similarity with purulent arthritis, and shoulder joint in scapulohumeral periarthritis, which naturally can only be done by a specialist.
BURSITIS OF THE ELBOW SYMPTOMS
Before proceeding to consider such a diagnosis as bursitis of the elbow joint, the symptoms of which we consider below, it is worth noting that elbow bag can rightfully be considered as the most favorite place for bursitis. Therefore, it is no exaggeration to the statement of the fact that meets this defeat more than any other.
Now about the symptoms. In this case, a region inflamed bags accumulates in itself the seal of a local character, and also notes the increase in the volume of tissue. Through the skin, of course, there's no indication that the inflammation has been exactly synovium, however, due to the characteristic features it is still possible to determine. So, the consistency of the swelling is characterized by softness, its size can reach 7-10cm. Palpation allows to determine the fluctuation (the cavity fluid), which occurs as clear, in the affected area. Relevant is the presence of pain in the common signs of intoxication. Additionally, it is noted malaise with increasing temperature.
An important difference bursitis of the elbow from arthritis is that its function because of the pain is exposed to certain disorders, but without any restrictions in range of motion and it leads, in fact, arthritis. In the case of the formation of purulent bursitis with the simultaneous spread of inflammation to adjacent tissues, there is a significant deterioration of the patient. The temperature can reach 40°C, and this often leads to hospitalization.
BURSITIS OF THE FOOT: SYMPTOMS
Treating bursitis of the foot, the symptoms of which is determined by the characteristic stage, it is necessary to allocate three basic forms that are relevant to this area.
- Purulent bursitis. Purulent inflammation in this case is formed with the inner surface of the metatarsal bone. Here you get an infection in the area of the bag causes the formation of abscess accompanied by redness and swelling . Especially these symptoms are pronounced while walking.
- Gonorrheal bursitis. Characterized by extreme pain when the corresponding swelling of the bags, exposed to defeat. Also pronounced are and inflammation occurring in that area surrounding tissues. Meanwhile, the most frequent lesion occurs in the prepatellar and calcaneum augue.
- Bursitis tuberculosis. The defeat exposed deep-lying bags with the characteristic of this tenderness, and swelling. In their cavity is formed exudate serous fibrioznoy the type of transition which can be made to the purulent form. Often, this form of bursitis in the foot is complicated due to the occurrence of external fistulas.
Here, as in the previous case with cubitus iuncturam , unlike bursitis from similar to it on the grounds of arthritis is to maintain mobility of the joint.
CALCANEAL BURSITIS: SYMPTOMS
Achilles bursitis or calcaneal bursitis, the symptoms of which resemble other forms of the disease, presented in the form of inflammation of the bursal fluid surrounding the tendon. In this form of inflamed Achilles tendon in place of its fastening to the heel bone. Associated with the diagnosis of typical trauma or serious stress in the form of excessive sports, wearing not too comfortable shoes, and wear shoes with high heels. Overweight also plays not the least influence on the formation of calcaneal bursitis.
Its characteristic features are the severe pain with swelling that is formed in proximity to the heel. Also observed redness of the skin, characteristic of the area of inflammation. Getting up on socks, and walking accompanied by pain. Ankle becomes limited in mobility.
Treatment of acute bursitis are, as a rule, is conservative, without requiring obligatory surgical intervention. The affected joint is subjected to restraint , using the pressure bandage or a bandage, holding the limb in a slightly raised position. An additional condition is to ensure peace.
Systematically sore spot exposed to massage through the fabric using the bag of ice. Effective solution is compression compression of the area with the damage with bandages or dressings. Often helps to improve the condition not only cold, but also heat (heating, ointments, heating pads). Of med medications prescribers of anti-inflammatory action, possibly, will be the need for the introduction of anesthetics in severe pain (novocaine in combination with glucocorticoid drugs spectrum of action, etc.).
In case of suspicion of a bursitis with the attendant injuries, you should consult a podiatrist who will determine appropriate treatment based on the diagnosis.