BURSITIS OF THE ELBOW: SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT
Bursa is the sheath of connective tissue. Inside it contains a collection of cells, of which produces synovial fluid. Joint fluid plays a role of lubrication, preventing wear of the joint surfaces. Also, this allows the liquid to provide nourishment to the articular cartilage. Joint of elbow formed by the connection of the radial, brachial and ulnar bones, joints, and capsules for them there are three.
Bursitis of the elbow involves inflammation of the structures of the joint and nearby muscles, tendons and fibers of the nerves. In Bursa this forms a pathological effusion. The reasons for its occurrence are
- the constant overload of hands. It involves strong physical activity or prolonged exposure of the hands in the same position. At risk here are athletes, office staff, and draftsman;
- injuries to bones, joints or tendons in the elbows;
- inflammation (arthritis, gout). This causes a decrease in the health of the owner, there may be tearing of the bags and then filling in the lymphatic tissue; the presence in the body pyogenic viruses. It becomes a cause of purulent bursitis in the background of infections that enter the joint through the blood or lymph;
- the presence of autoimmune disease;
- the presence of specific diseases – gonorrhoea, syphilis, tuberculosis;
Often the causes can be several – for example, the open elbow trauma may lead to infection of the joint capsule. Blood in the joint cavity acts as an excellent habitat for bacteria and viruses, which leads to the formation of pus.
Bursitis of the elbow has several types and forms, each of which is characterized by pain intensity, character appearance changes hands and the impact. The most common classification is the division of disease on these forms:
- chronic. Weak is characterized by pain persisting for a long time. Thus there is no restriction of mobility of the elbow, there was no tumor, but to probe dense formation of small size;
- sharp. Presents with sharp pain during movement. Frequently symptoms is the increase in temperature and intoxication, which causes problems in the functioning of not only the hinge joint, but also the internal organs;
- relapse. Found, if were repeatedly violated the integrity of the previously affected region or infection occurs. In the wall of the bag even after recovery contains exudate with pathogenic bacteria. Symptoms of recurrent forms of the same sharp.
In addition to the above forms, elbow bursitis is:
- specific. Characteristic of people employed power or long monotonous work, or with injuries of the elbow joint;
- not specific. Observed in patients who have Treponema, tuberculosis, syphilis and other diseases.
Depending on the composition of the synovial fluid bursitis of the elbow can be:
- serous. Fluid in the joint of the elbow becomes the consistency of a serum. Doctors believe this kind of safe and quick cure. Is characterized by a small swelling and pain, elevated temperature in the diseased area with minor disorders condition;
- hemorrhagic. The fluid in this disease enters the blood;
- purulent. The presence of pus indicates the process of inflammation and the presence of pathogenic bacteria and viruses. The person feels races piranha pain, there is a noticeable redness and swelling. Purulent bursitis of the elbow is required urgently to treat with antibiotics.
Elbow bursitis has the following symptoms:
- swelling in the elbow, which occurs without any particular reason. Often it is painless and does not hinder movement;
- increasing painless swelling on the arm;
- discomfort and pain in the joints;
- sudden reddening of the skin in the area of the elbow;
- high fever, even fever;
- General weakness, apathy;
- loss of appetite;
- high sweating;
- large lymph nodes;
- disability, the inability to bend the arm;
- education in the elbow joint of pus that will come out (on the skin will form fistulas, cellulitis).
The chronic form of the disease occurs often in the absence of treatment. Doctors during the inspection will be able to find one or more solid formations. For chronic form it is characterized by relapses.
If a patient finds one or more of these symptoms, you should consult a doctor and do not attempt to treat it. Any signs of bursitis can be confused with arthritis, gout or other disease, and these diseases are treated differently. In the presence of symptoms, until a trip to the podiatrist should be imposed on the elbow immobilization bandage, providing, thus, peace.
Serous, hemorrhagic or purulent bursitis of the elbow joint, the podiatrist can diagnose the following:
- after examining the patient. Specialist without difficulty in the survey and palpation will determine that the patient has bursitis;
- after the x-ray. This happens in case if the required assessment process of the bones of the elbow – sometimes there may be formed osteophytes. Also, this technique allows to choose the way how to treat the disease (conservative or operative);
- puncture the joint capsule. Done if the doctor remained unclear what the nature of the disease – infectious or inflammatory. Fluid taken during the biopsy is sent to the laboratory, where during identify its sensitivity to antibiotics and other drugs is determined by the nature of the disease, based on which the doctor develops a treatment plan.
Restriction of motor activity of the elbow, where to start to treat bursitis of the elbow joint. Treatment involves the imposition of immobilization ( crushing, sometimes gypsum) bandages. If injuries are public, the wound is surgical treatment, and then fixed anti septic dressing. The patient was prescribed antibiotics with a broad spectrum of action.
If the elbow bag is an exudate, it must be removed with a syringe under sterile conditions. To relieve the symptoms of inflammation, use these methods:
- in the cavity of the joint capsule is injected the steroid hormone type;
- used nonsteroidal funds, which are received by the patient combined;
- used ointments;
Treatment of bursitis of the elbow joint provides for the inclusion in the treatment program of adjuvants with a variety of vitamin complexes. After the treatment of inflammation of the patient should undergo physiotherapy.
If conservative treatment is not successful because of the neglect of the process that is assigned to the operation.
The most efficient operation:
- drainage bag replacement. It is pumped from a liquid through a small incision;
- removal of the Bursa. During rehabilitation, the body will form a new Bursa.
TREATMENT FOLK METHODS
It should be noted that the treatment of inflammation folk remedies that may seem to be an alternative to antibiotics, you cannot assign themselves – need to harmonize selected folk remedies with the doctor. They are unlikely to completely cure the disease, but will act as auxiliary means to relieve pain and inflammation. The most effective folk remedies for the treatment of bursitis:
- lotions of alcohol tincture of propolis. A tincture made from vodka and several grams of herb. Folk remedy need to insist for weeks in a tightly sealed container, and then applied to the skin;
- ointment of aloe juice with honey. For part of the juice of the plant is added to several parts of honey and alcohol, and the very popular ointment applied to the affected area;
- compress of lilac flowers. They are a little push-UPS and wrap your elbow with a bandage to eliminate the inflammatory characteristics;
- granulated sugar, warmed in a skillet. This folk medicine is placed in a bag and applied to the swelling to resolve.
In addition to treatment with medicines or folk remedies, it is required to take preventive measures to properly distribute the things in the workplace, more rest, reduce physical stress on the sore place, do not freeze.