Bursitis of the shoulder joint - causes, symptoms, diagnosis and how to treat at home
The inflammatory process in the shoulder can occur chronically or acutely. It is a common disease of the musculoskeletal system. For bursitis is characterized by accumulation in the joints about the bag of synovial fluid mixed with blood, protein, pus. Pathology is manifested in different ways, as can affect different parts of the shoulder joint. For this reason, the program of treatment and subsequent rehabilitation is determined in each case individually.
Classification and types
Inflammation of the joint capsule of the shoulder joint is different. Pathology have the same symptoms, but different among themselves only cause.Subdeltoidal o subacromial characterized by lesions deltoideis acromial muscles due to injury. Calculous bursitis caused by deposits of calcium, which is manifested in the form of growths that RUB against each other.
Stone or calcareous bursitis is also characterized by the deposition of calcium salts in the capsule of the joint, but in the form of lime, which changes the consistency of the synovial fluid. Modern medicine divides bursitis and from the point of view of the clinical course of the disease:
- the acute, which is characterized by sudden severe pain, extending down the surface of the hands or neck;
- chronic, characterized by a weak pain symptoms, but lasting much longer.
The symptoms of bursitis shoulder joint
When developing bursitis in the shoulder, the person has pain when performing rotational movements of the hand or when the withdrawal of her back. The symptoms manifests itself in different ways, depending on the form of the disease:
- subacromial when the hand is at rest no pain when lifting limb pain syndrome appears
- subdeltoidal sharp pain occurs in the shoulder and arm, swelling and redness around the affected area
- ossificans pain on motion, swelling, redness of the shoulder, the local temperature increase
- subarachnoidally the shoulder joint becomes inflamed for no reason, sharp pain.
The causes of the disease
Shoulder bursitis often develops due to physical loading on the shoulder. Sometimes illness and injury or inflammation of the shoulder Bursa. At risk men aged 35-45 years, whose professional activity is associated with a strong stress on the shoulder joint. It's the movers, athletes and people leading an active lifestyle. There are a number of other reasons that may cause bursitis:
- chronic arthritis;
- the weakening of the immune system;
- chronic disease;
- autoimmune diseases;
- the metabolic disorders;
- allergic reactions.
To determine the fluid in the shoulder joint and inflammation under shoulder bags can be on the basis of clinical signs and additional research. To exclude other pathologies the doctor may require x-ray photo shoulder. For the evaluation of soft tissues state while tandoori is ultrasound and MRI. Puncture the synovial fluid, followed by studies performed in individual cases. If you suspect an autoimmune disease and / or gout doctor can refer you to a rheumatologist.
Treatment of bursitis of the shoulder joint
Treatment of the disease is aimed at relieving symptoms and addressing the causes of the inflammatory process. Comprehensive treatment includes injection and topical application of drugs, physiotherapy and the use of traditional recipes. Depending on the intensity and etiology of the inflammatory process, may need surgical intervention. Starting therapy is recommended with providing rest to the joint of the shoulder. This applied compressive or retentive bandage.
Treatment at home
Self-treatment is fraught with complication of the disease, so all methods need to be discussed with your doctor. Help in therapy bursitis can provide:
- Massage. Is massaging with eucalyptus (5 cap), lavender (5 cap) and a base of petroleum jelly (50 g) of butter. The ingredients are mixed, the resulting mixture is gently rubbed into the area of inflammation every night before bed.
- Gadgets. The most effective way to treat bursitis of the shoulder. Propolis tincture should be mixed with water in the ratio 1:10, to moisten it a napkin and apply on the sore spot, the top securing with an elastic bandage for 2-3 hours daily.
To eliminate symptoms of pain in acute or chronic bursitis are assigned to the anti-inflammatory agent with analgesic effect. However, their application should take into account contraindications and the side effects that this group of drugs large number. If podkrovelnye traumatic bursitis provoked inflammation in the synovia cavity are introduced simultaneously local anesthetics and non-steroidal hormones.
The treatment of the disease of infectious origin is carried out by injection of non-steroidal hormones and antibiotics. Serous and suppurative bursitis requires mandatory tap, to rinse the cavity to remove accumulated exudate. Radical treatment is resorted to very rarely. When is acute bursitis, doctors will prescribe different Physiotherapy treatments.
Only after the relief of pain, cessation of purulent process and the disappearance of the swelling the patient is sent to physical therapy. When bursitis is prescribed:
- Electrophoresis. Helps to penetrate the tissue is necessary for the medicines using a constant current of low intensity.
- Laser therapy. By using the light beam of the laser is enhanced in the area of inflammation and metabolism, and the cells begin to actively perform their functions, restores the impaired blood flow.
- Shock-wave therapy. Is the impact on the joint of the sound waves of low frequency. UHF penetrate deep into tissue, providing a therapeutic effect: markedly increases the mobility of limbs, reduced amount of exudate.
After the elimination of acute inflammation, the doctor recommends that the patient undergo therapeutic massage. The procedure strengthens and warms the joints, muscles, tendons, has a beneficial effect on enhancing local immunity. The sequence of movements for therapeutic massage tell the physician. Beneficial effect on the skin produces olive oil, so during the procedure it is recommended to apply it. During the massage joint is necessary to do such movements:
- squeezing palm edge;
- to shake;
- double ring kneading;
- longitudinal kneading.
The indication for surgery is the patient has a purulent bursitis. In the absence of therapeutic effect after the course of drug therapy your doctor may prescribe surgery, if there are calcareous formations on the shoulder bones. The surgery is performed under General anesthesia. The surgeon exposes the joint capsule, inspects the cavity, and purulent exudate should be removed. The most radical surgical method is a bursectomy of the elbow joint. Complete or partial excision of the Bursa is chronic aseptic bursitis.
In complex therapy of bursitis for relief of symptoms allowed to use the people's recipes:
- A compress of cabbage leaves. Cut a large cabbage leaf, to beat to get the juice, then apply to the affected area. On top of need to tie a woolen shawl or scarf for warmth. Every 4 hours the sheet needs to be changed. Compress keep for weeks.
- Bath with pine needles. Branches, cones and needles of spruce (pine) soak in cool water, brought to a boil, cook 30 minutes. Broth insist night. For a full bath, you will need 1.5 kg of pine needles. To take medicinal baths should be at a temperature of 40 degrees for 40 minutes daily.
Among the main preventive measures bursitis most important:
- to minimize injuries of the shoulder;
- timely treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases that occur in the body;
- compulsory treatment of skin injuries, antiseptic;
- restriction of heavy physical exertion in the upper extremity;
- conduct morning or evening exercises for the shoulder girdle.